Congratulations! Our very best wishes to you as you contemplate your wedding here with us at Walpole St Peter Church.

We hope that the following information helps you as you make your plans.

Firstly we would ask you to contact the vicar, Barbara Burton (on 01945 781228 / to arrange an initial discussion. However beforehand please can we ask you to take a few minutes to read the information below. There are some things to ascertain to ensure you are eligible to be married at the Church. Please note, however, that you do not have to be christened to be married in a Church of England church – it is commonly thought that this is a requirement, but it is not.

Proving Identity
Weddings in the Church of England are covered by the law of the land and the clergy have authority to marry couples under certain circumstances. Since the 2nd March 2015 it is a legal requirement for both parties to provide photographic identity with evidence of their nationality to the minister who will preside at their wedding or who will be publishing Banns (see below). Usually this will be a passport (or for some European citizens a national identity card), and in addition they must produce something else proving their place of residence, such as a current utility bill or bank statement. If the bride and groom cannot both produce evidence that they are British/European nationals, the couple will need to apply for a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate. Please speak with the vicar if you are unsure where you stand.

Getting Married by Banns
All weddings in England and Wales are preceded by the giving of a formal public notice of the couple’s intention to be married. In a register office this involves a notice being displayed for 28 days before the wedding. In a Church of England church the notice is usually given by ‘Banns’. The word ‘Banns’ comes from an old English word meaning ‘proclamation’. Publishing the Banns involves the Vicar (or whoever is presiding at the service) announcing during the Sunday service of the couple’s intention to marry, and inviting anyone to speak if they know of a legal reason why the wedding should not take place. The Banns are published on three consecutive Sundays prior to the wedding, no earlier than three months before the wedding takes place.

Your right to be married - You have a right to marry in St Peter’s Church if:

•You are both over 18 (or over 16 with parental permission)

• One of you has a qualifying connection (see below for what they are). This is a connection with the Church or the Church’s geographical parish boundary. If you want to check which Church of England parish you live in now, or have lived in, go to where you can enter an address or post code and be directed to the entry for the relevant church.
If one or both of you is divorced you can still be married in church at the sole discretion of the minister who must follow guidelines set down by the Bishops of the Church of England. If this applies you will need to have a conversation with the vicar about the circumstances of the divorce to see if re-marriage is possible at St Peter’s Church.

The Qualifying Connections

After the 1st October 2008 you can marry in a Church of England church of your choice, subject to the conditions above, if you can prove one or more of the following connections:

1. You were baptised in the church.

2. You were confirmed in or from the church.

3. A Parent or Grandparent of yours was married in the church.

4. You have had your usual place of residence in the parish of the church for at least 6 months during your lifetime.

5. One of your Parents has had their usual place of residence within the parish of the church for at least 6 months during your lifetime.

6. You have habitually attended public worship at the church for at least 6 months.

8. One of your Parents has habitually attended public worship at the church for at least 6 months during your lifetime.

Fees for weddings
Fees for weddings are divided into national and local fees. The national fees are set by the Church of England and apply in every church in England and Wales. They are usually reviewed on 1st January each year. The national fees for 2017 are:

Banns £28.00
Please note that if you live in a parish other than Walpole St Peter you will need to have the Banns published in the parish church covering your address. This may mean having Banns read in two other churches if the bride and groom live in separate parishes. The fee will be £41 per calling (the additional sum covers the production of a certificate confirming the Banns have been call

Service £424.00

Marriage Certificate £4.00

The local fees apply only to St Peter’s Church, and so are optional. They are:

Bells £100
Organist £75
Verger £25